Solar Energy has been the ‘talk of the town’ in recent years. Recently it has gained huge attention from various organizations & individuals across the country. If you are lately thinking to buy one, then you might want to know more about- ‘what EPC is’ and ‘how to select the solar according to my need.’
EPC: Engineering, Procurement and Civil Construction.
EPC companies are those who provide a one-stop solution for all solar needs. In simple terms, you don’t have to run around and go to multiple vendors to assemble numerous components of a solar plant.
Getting your work done from EPC companies is of great importance. This is crucial when it is a large-scale project. Now that you know what EPC is, let’s understand what these companies do. To list down, here are some activities they do in broader terms.
Engineering – This activity involves- running the workability test and doing site evaluation. Furthermore, it also involves technology selection and outlining the site feasibility for interconnections.
Procurement – This activity involves- obtaining required resources for the project like- clearance and commissioning, equipment, etc. In addition, it also looks after the installation under a specified time frame and budget given by the client.
Construction – This activity involves- supervision & monitoring services, preparing plans related to the installation of a solar power plant, construction support, and project planning & operations management. Further, it also includes the preparation of a detailed proposal with an action plan and estimate.
These three essential components of EPC ensures the feasibility & lifespan of the project.
Below stated are the guidelines that will help you select the right Solar EPC company:
It is recommended to get a run through to check the quality standards of the products offered. It is essential to ensure whether the installer offers warranties and guarantees.
1. A good solar EPC company should have sound knowledge about the equipment and the components that they are offering. In addition to this, they should have an in-depth understanding of the technical details of the products, utility setup, and engineering from the project team & management team. Have a thorough discussion about the maintenance policy post-installation
2. An EPC should be well recognized one and should get all the paperwork done for you. They should be capable enough to get a licence granted by the government for you (as a client). At the same time, you should check the flexibility and credibility of the solar EPC by its experience of working under different conditions – geographic, terrains and timeframes.
3. An EPC company can be judged based on- the number of projects executed successfully, the number of years they have served in the industry, their relations with vendors, and the best clients they have worked with, in the recent past.
4. As it is equally important, make sure that the installer is fully aware of the statutory requirements and the state’s solar policy requirements.
5. It is essential to be 100% sure about the EPC provider you choose; as installing a solar panel system is a huge and one-time investment. The lifespan of a good solar system is approximately 25 years. Therefore, ask for the company’s portfolio and a list of recent projects. You can also ask them for 2-3 references for you to contact.
Related Read: 9 Things to Consider Before Installing Solar Panels
To sum it up, it is advisable to select an experienced and reputable solar pv installer. This way, you can ensure that you receive- a high quality, well-performing solar system with best after service for maintenance throughout the lifetime of the system.